Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, May 1, 2009

Birds...

Ok, so Chris and I enjoy watching the birds in our back yard. We have recently purchased two bird feeders and they are often emptied every day!! Craziness! Anyways, we purchased a bird book the other day while we were at Lowe's (I know some of you might think we are dorks, but oh well) and it had a picture of a really colorful bird that I had only ever seen stuffed! I went on and on to Chris about how this crazy colorful bird was so cool and tiny and that it would be awesome if we could see one of them.


What was extremely funny was just yesterday (we purchased the book on Sunday) that little bird was in our yard!! HAHA! Anyways, it is a painted bunting. I don't know how many of you know what those are, but here is a professional picture:





















And here is a picture of the one in our yard














A blue jay













And a cardinal









For those of you who do not know, all of these birds happen to be male...male birds are always the colorful ones whereas the females are a gray/brown variety with accents of the more bold male colors. I don't know why God made them this way, but this is one species where the men are actually prettier :)

5 comments:

Connie said...

I seriously cannot believe you saw that bird. I have never, in my life, seen one of those. That is so awesome.

When you are old you are both going to be co-chairs of the bird watchers club aren't you. Wearing your funky hats, carrying around your 'noculars, and tiptoeing and whispering around your backyard.....

Maimee said...

Lexi- I'm so happy you're a bird watcher too! You are not going to
believe this but I had a Painted Bunting for the first time in my yard on Wednesday morning. I've never seen one before and I've been a birder for years! You are lucky. It was amazing. I took 3 pics and a short video of this jewel! Happy birdwatching! Love,
Debbie

Anjolee said...

Wow, that's a really pretty bird. I would love to see one. I think it's cute that y'all are a couple of bird watchers.

Zion said...

That is so cool! I don't think you are dork at all, I don't know a thing about birds, but I have really wanted to get a feeder in our yard and this makes me want to even more.

Kari and Justin said...

I am a "people watcher" myself...I guess that is because the only birds we see in the big city are pigeons...yuck! We don't get to see those pretty birds like you...lucky!