Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, July 26, 2009

1 + 1 makes 2

So, I finally gave in. That's right...we adopted a second dog. Chris has been wanting a second dog for some time now. He felt like Spencer needed a playmate. And that maybe, just maybe it would help Spencer calm down and behave a little better if he could spend some of his energy playing with another dog. Well yesterday, while browsing at PetSmart, I believe we found the perfect fit. He was named Ray, and I believe he is a border collie/whippet...maybe?? Not sure. He has the color markings of a border collie and the body shape of a whippet, but that is just a guess. He is super cute though and very well behaved, SO FAR. He was rescued by the humane society and apparently in a big "dog bust" so he is used to being around a bunch of dogs, so Spencer bothers him none. He hasn't even barked or tried to bite at him. Spencer on the other hand, is being his normal ornery self. He grumbles/barks/growls/whines...I don't even really know how to describe the odd noise that he makes when we pet the new little guy. I lectured Spencer yesterday and told him that if he too would sit still, people would enjoy petting him, but no, he just makes weird noises and kind of stalks you in a weird way. Laci was giving them treats yesterday when they obeyed her commands and Spencer was being all cute and rolled over, so Laci tries to pet him and what does he do?? Takes off in the other direction, like hahaha, catch me! Nerd. This new dog, Ray, is so calm, he is dying for affection so anytime you go out there he just sits at your feet and looks up at you like, ok, please pet me now. Chris wants to name him Kalani...I am not opposed to this, seeing as how we already call Spencer, Spencer Ray and I do not want a child of mine named Kalani, that will suit. He doesn't appear to respond to the name Ray anyways, I am thinking the shelter must have named him that. But regardless, we have entered a new chapter with a new doggie face. Here he is:


His legs are definitely longer than Spencers, but he only weighs about 10 pounds more and he is approximately 2 years old, so they are the same age.















Mr Kalani Dog

















And he is already proving to be smarter than Spencer, he actually finds the doggie pool as a good way to cool off...he fell asleep in there yesterday with his head hanging off the side. So cute!

















So, what do you think? I am crazy, yes, I know. A little Asian lady at PetSmart told Chris yesterday while we were adopting the little guy, that he is going to heaven for doing this. Haha! Well, I guess it couldn't hurt our chances, but I don't believe it will be the reason we will be going!

4 comments:

Zion said...

WOW, most people get rid of pets when a baby is coming. You get another one. I think it's great. He seems like a really sweet dog and hopefully Spencer will warm up to him and they will be buds.

Atlee's Mom said...

I hope Spencer learns a lot from your new sweet dog b/c he's really a loving pup!

Kari and Justin said...

Hopefully this will help Spencer's crazy ways.

Asian ladies are funny!

Evie Evie Amber said...

Hello heaven bound friend. I'm glad that you rescued Mr. Kalani and that he is a good example for Spencer. I hope that they have a great time together.